Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 By the Books




Thanks to GoodReads here are the books I read this year. Almost all of them were checked out from my local public library - either on ebook or audiobook.I feel like there are some that aren't on the list but I can't remember...I wish Overdrive (much preferred to kindle for the iPad) or the library kept track of the books you have checked out. There were 22 in total - much less than 2013's 67 - but I guess not too shabby considering I had an infant for 11 months out of the year.

My favorite fiction book was Elizabeth Gilbert's The Signature of All Things. I don't remember loving it as I was reading it, but it was full of surprises, and elements of the story really stuck with me.

My top five non fiction books:
All Joy and No Fun By Jennifer Senior - very thoughtful and unexpected book, well researched and not the typical overworked-mom-trying-to-do-it-all narrative

The Whole Brain Child by Daniel Siegel - lots of interesting stuff here, a good blend of neuroscience, psychology and

Navigating the Path to Industry by M.R. Nelson - a short ebook by a blogger I really like, an excellent guide for a job search

Breastfeeding Made Simple by Nancy Mohrbacher and Kathleen Kendall-Tackett - with a subtitle of Seven natural laws for nursing mothers, this was not a book I expected to like, but this is excellent, science-based, not preachy or biased. or maybe its just biased in the right way, but I will recommend this & only this to friends.

The Sports Gene by David Epstein - Its amazing what the human body can do. This book hit my popular science trifecta - fascinating subject, solidly researched, and excellent writing. This was great and I don't even like sports.

I've set a goal of 52 books again for 2015 - you can follow along with my progress at GoodReads.

No comments:

Post a Comment