Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My first post

I've been reading blogs for a while and finally decided to make one of my own. TD is out of town this week, and the resulting free time I have might also have something to do with it. I am hoping to be able to keep track of my adventures in wedding planning, applying for faculty and other permanent jobs, and figuring out where the heck TD and I are going to live after June 1st, plus some fun travel to Costa Rica and Brazil. I am also hoping to keep track of my net worth and savings. Hopefully this will be fun! With that I will leave you with my favorite frugal recipe -- its what I am eating for dinner all week while TD is away. I love it--and its one of the cheapest meals you can make!

From http://www.flickr.com/photos/su-lin/4051491436/

Frugal Beans
1 lb dried beans (I used half pinto/half black)
1 T ground cumin or cumin seeds
2 T chili powder
1 T salt
4 cloves garlic or 1 T granulated garlic
1 chipotle in adobo*

Pick through beans for rocks or damaged beans. Put beans in pot and cover with 2 inches cold water. Bring to a boil for 10 min, then turn off heat and let soak for 1 hour. (I often do this before I leave for work, and finish the rest when I get home) Drain and rinse beans under cold water. Add cold water to cover by 1 inch and return pan to stove. Add spices and simmer on medium/low for 1.5 hours stirring every half hour. Watch for sticking, if liquid becomes too reduced, add water as needed. When beans are fork tender, serve with brown rice, homemade corn bread or tortillas and top with fresh cilantro, chopped tomato and avocado.

*Spicy! But adds a great smoky flavor. They come in a small can, and you can freeze the extras for next time.

From http://www.flickr.com/photos/toastforbrekkie/3640528976/

No comments:

Post a Comment