Monday, February 7, 2011

Skirted nightstands

I stopped into Goodwill the other day after dropping off some donations and was very happy to find two particleboard round tables with glass tops. I had been wondering what to do for nightstands in our bedroom - not sure what would coordinate with the already eclectic mix of cherry sleigh bed and rustic pine dresser. Not sure how much TD will like these - but at $3 each, they are a great temporary solution (and can always be moved to the guest bedroom eventually).

I bought a pack of sheets to use for the skirt. Sheets are a great source of cheap fabric, come in cute patterns and are very wide, so you don't have to sew any seams. A full flat and fitted sheet will give you enough to cover 2 small tables. The hardest part was cutting a circle - I calculated the "radius" that I wanted - table height + 1/2 table width + seam allowance (sewing a curved hem is tricky, so I kept this to a bare minimum) - I then fodled my fabric into fourths and folded again so that I had just a little wedge to cut. I used my ruler as a protractor to mark a curved line with the correct radius and then cut it out. A quick hem to the edges, ironing out the wrinkles, and the skirts are ready to go! The master bedroom is now pretty much complete - except for closet doors of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment