Thursday, March 4, 2010

Carrot Cake


Growing up in my family it was always a tradition that you got to ask for whatever birthday cake you wanted. My mom is an excellent baker, so usually these were homemade, but storebought was ok too. I remember several Baskin Robbins ice cream cakes in the past...
Since TD's birthday was this week, I wanted to keep that tradition alive. Choosing was easy for him, since he loves carrot cake. So carrot cake it was! Carrot cake is one of my favorite recipes to make because it is easy. I like cakes that don't require creaming sugar and butter if possible. This cake's fat comes from vegetable oil, so it is easy to mix by hand.
One thing that is a bit of a pain with this recipe is grating the carrots by hand. I try to keep a pretty minimal kitchen with limited plug in appliances [no food processor]. So that means I grate carrots by hand which can get a little messy/tiresome.
So I may have to be getting one of these in the future.
Optional Attachment - Slicer/Shredder
I don't have 9 inch round cake pans--and a layer cake is a bit over the top for 2 people, so I made an 8 x 8 cake and a smaller individual cake. Between the two of us we polished off the little guy with no problem.

1 comment:

  1. Carrot cake is my absolute favorite. We didn't have a wedding cake at our wedding, but if we had... CARROT CAKE! You just can't beat that flavor combination. Dammit, now I'm craving it! :-)

    ReplyDelete